Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Slaying Dragons: Daily Adolescent Challenges and Middle Grade Literature by Braden Bell

I've been thinking about middle school students and why they like to read what they do. Since I write middle grade fantasy, I've been thinking about that genre specifically, but I think this applies to nearly any MG genre. I should make it clear that I don't claim that these thoughts are unique. Still, they've been in my mind a great deal lately as I watch my students struggle through the vicissitudes of day-to-day adolescent life.

After teaching for over twenty years, I have noticed some patterns that I think are useful when writing for middle grade readers.

I can't count the number of times I've heard a student say, "Mr. So-and-So hates me." If you trace that back, and talk to Mr. So-and-So, his version is usually something like, "Today Taylor was talking in class and I gave her a demerit." But to Taylor, Mr. So-and-So is a monster with tremendous destructive power, lurking in the darkness, ready to jump out and torment her at any moment.

It's no secret that adolescents experience the world in heightened emotional terms. Instead of having good friends, they have Best Friends for Life. Instead of having people they don't like, they have mortal enemies (and, I would note the people in these roles can switch over night). Teachers don't simply discipline them--teachers cherish unyielding, and irrational grudges and hate them.

From an adolescent's perspective, every day can be a battle, fraught with terrible pitfalls and dangers. For the most part, these are social, not physical dangers, but to a young teen, social problems can seem equal to, or even worse, than physical danger.

It's easy for adults to minimize, even idealize, the trials that adolescents face. But in the moment, these challenges appear very daunting.

I think this is part of the appeal of middle grade books. Whatever the genre, they show adolescents facing and surmounting tremendous challenges, winning battles, and vanquishing foes. Those fictional foes might represent real-life bullies, or strict teachers or any number of other people. Fictional battles and difficulties might represent the sometimes-overwhelming nature of adolescence.

In addition to all the other benefits that come with reading, I think that this is one of the great values of middle grade literature.










22 comments:

  1. Well said, Braden. I completely agree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! You speak with compassion and knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Caroline. As the world's least-together, most dysfunctional adolescent, I picked up a few things :)

      Delete
  3. Absolutely spot on. (And I think I've continued my adolescent sense of high drama into mid-life!!! My wife calls me the Emperor of Exaggeration...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I might be the Grand Duke in that case, Michael. :)

      Delete
  4. Everyone has challenges and whether child or adult we should be open to their side and discuss a solution. You really know your stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Sheena-kay! I appreciate you stopping by and being so affirmative.

      Delete
  5. Brilliant! As a fifth grade teacher (in my last year, as it turns out) this is right on the money. And it's why kids love a big, bold adventure. (If only to take their minds off their own mortal enemy, BFF, and evil, plotting teacher.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on your imminent retirement. I hope it's a good reason. Like lots of writing time. Thank you, Dianne.

      Delete
  6. Nice! Also: I think I must be stuck in middle grade because I see everything as an epic battle. You should hear our dinner conversations. :)

    p.s. it also makes me laugh when teachers go in on this, having "rivalries" between Mr. Pinky the History teacher and Mrs. Brain the Art teacher. As an adult, I know it's all in good fun, but I'm sure the kids think they're duking it out in the teacher's lounge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your dinner conversations sound much more exciting than mine! And, I have to confess, one of the reasons I went into teaching was so I could finally find out about what happened in the teacher's lounge :)

      Delete
  7. Great post! The lens through which this age group sees the world is so magical, so emotionally visceral. The themes they experience open up so many opportunities to expand into the imaginative defamiliarization that really allows them to connect and be entertained. Thanks, Braden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joseph. "Emotionally visceral" is an excellent term. One I may borrow. I really like that.

      Delete
  8. Too funny about the evil teachers. Fantasy stories are such a great escape for both kids and adults. In fact, I'm always surprised when I hear about a kid who doesn't like to read fantasy. I always think they just haven't found the right book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good point, Dee. I'm the same way. I suppose my own dysfunction as a teen helped me like fantasy so much. Perhaps many of us are trying to write that "right book."

      Delete
  9. "... to a young teen, social problems can seem equal to, or even worse, than physical danger." Wow! I never thought of it that way before, but you're absolutely right. Adolescence is such a mine field. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joanne. I have become convinced over the years that for teens, social status/not being uncool may be one of the most important needs. It's easy to minimize as an adult, but I really do think some kids would probably die rather than be thought of as lame.

      Delete
  10. I definitely agree! Even if they're not-so-big-dragons. I remember many a dull afternoon of chores or scary piano recital made easier by courage stolen from my favorite novels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had thought of that--it might have enticed me to practice more :)

      Delete

Thanks for adding to the mayhem!