Wednesday, August 26, 2015

THE END of an EDITOR'S ERA by Eden Unger Bowditch

When an author works with an editor, the two form a very precious bond. It can be contentious and it maddening, but the two come together for a common cause- to create the best manuscript possible. It is a marriage, to be sure, and the offspring is a book. But what happens when things change and an editor leaves for different pastures.

After two Young Inventors Guild books, my editor, Harrison Demchick, left my publisher to work independently. His group, The Writer’s Ally (http://thewritersally.com/) helps new and established authors hone their work. It’s been great for him and terrifying for me. When I heard the news, the first thing I thought was- How am I ever going to finish the third book??? I had come to rely on Harrison for everything Young Inventors Guild-ish. He is the only one who knows the secret history. He is the only one who knows what will happen. He and I together wrote the screenplays for the first two books. Who could ever be there for me in the same way?

The answer is no one. No one will fill the shoes of the editor I have had from the beginning. His work habits had become mine. He’d send missive with detailed pros and cons that would then be reflected in the text. I’d cry. Then I’d read through the comments again and see the wisdom in his words. This was how it had worked. I was at a loss.

My publisher was very kind and hired Harrison as a consultant. A consultant is not quite the same as an editor. Things would be different. There would not be the copious notes in the manuscript, but there would be editorial comments. With many a deep breath, I decided to face the future. Two weeks after sending him the manuscript, I received the familiar and ever-massive letter. As always, I cried. Then, Harrison and I discussed various edits. The challenge was addressing the text on my own, without his in-text comments. This was hard, but once I acclimated to the new regime, I was able to reread and check off the edits that made sense to me. It was an excellent first draft review and now I am deep into the second draft. And I feel that there is a light at the end of this Harrison-less tunnel. And I anticipate comments from the new editor to be compelling and helpful.


So I have learned a lesson. Yes, an author and an editor must work together. But an author must write the book and make changes and edits. Editors may come and go. Hopefully, an attentive and caring editor will always be on hand. An author must understand that an editor is more of a mentor/helper than a true partner because, in the end, the book is ours.

- Eden Unger Bowditch

7 comments:

  1. I don't mean to smile at your tears, but my first reaction to every editorial letter is to have a panic attack. After I calm down, I see the wisdom in the notes.

    I am glad that your published found a way to work with Harrison for your third book. They sound like a great company!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, Dianne. It sometimes takes a step back to get the right perspective. Bancroft has been really lovely.

      Delete
  2. An inspiring piece about a great working relationship!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michael. Might we say the relationship is...a work in progress? Sorry, couldn't help it.

      Delete
  3. This warmed my heart! When not authoring, I work as a content editor for a small publisher and have loved helping authors shape their books and tease out the golden truths...as best I can. A wonderful relationship, and just as you describe. Thanks for sharing!

    --Suzanne
    www.suzannewarr.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eden, if there is one thing I have learned in this industry is that change is constant! I too, fell in love with my developmental editor. She is my champion. She makes me sweat, cry and laugh with her notes - all to help me deliver a stronger story. However, my copy editor has changed from book 1 in my series to book 2 - and changing editors even with copy edits can be unsettling. Yet while I am seeing the differences in her style from my previous editor with regards to my work, I also see new things she offers to help me revise. Bottom line: it IS all about relationships and creating a positive and productive relationship between you and your editor (with an old partner or embracing a new one).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Losing an editor is so hard. There's so much trust there. I love that you and Harrison can continue in a slightly different way.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for adding to the mayhem!